Psychometric tests are sometimes used as part of the decision-making process, alongside interviews and reference checking.
In addition to giving employers useful information about whether a candidate’s style and abilities are suited to the role, assessments can be a valuable tool for employers wanting to make decisions about promotions, individuals’ development needs and team dynamics. You cannot ‘fail’ tests.
The main types of psychometric assessment are aptitude and ability tests, and personality profiles.
APTITUDE AND ABILITY TESTS
- The tests involve a combination of verbal and numerical reasoning and are frequently multi-choice. They are usually short questions and there is generally only one right answer.
- The types of exercises can vary but usually relate to specific requirements of the role. They are good at predicting how well you will perform in certain aspects of the role.
- At the test session listen carefully to the instructions. Most ability tests are timed so make sure you know how long you have.
- Read each key question carefully before answering and look for a balance between speed and accuracy. If you are unsure of the answer to a question, give it your best shot then move on. You will usually find you cannot answer all the questions within the allocated timeframe.
FUTURE-PROOFING YOUR ORGANISATION DURING TIMES OF CHANGE
During times of change, the need for strong leadership, clear communication, healthy thinking, and resilience becomes of critical importance – across all levels of staff. To assist individuals directly affected by organisational change and in support of those who remain, PowerHouse People have developed a modularised series of development programmes delivered by specialist facilitators.
Each course has been specially selected on the basis that it can be delivered in a one-to-one or workshop-style format, as a stand-alone offering, or in combination.
Course Options (Job Search Specific)
Course Options (Development)
- Practical Job Search Activity
- Interview Skills Training
- CV Development
- Building Transformational Leaders
- Emotional Intelligence
- Healthy Thinking
- Effective Communication
- Building Resiliency
Course Delivery Options
There are multiple options for delivering these workshops, including 1-to-1 discussion, small group workshops, or organisational-wide presentations.
Course material can also be customised for short course delivery (1.5 hours) through to 1 or 2 day options. Cost is therefore dependent on the number of people involved, the makeup of course content, and programme duration.
For further information on any of the above course options, please contact a people&co. consultant.
FEEDBACK FROM PSYCHOMETRIC TESTS
We recommend you request feedback on your tests, as this can be useful for your professional development. Make sure the feedback you are given is from a person qualified to interpret the tests.